Thursday, October 2, 2008

Stray cats



I don't usually talk about my Japanese language notes (nor do I intend to make it a habit, since not everyone is as entranced by Japanese as I am), but I found this one kind of interesting.

In Japanese, the word "noraneko" literally refers to a stray cat. You'll see noraneko around Tokyo from time to time, and unlike most strays, they don't seem to be terribly bothered by people.

What's interesting, though is that the use of the word has morphed to include not only actual cats but homeless women around Tokyo. There are apparently a few young women in Tokyo who basically leech off of other people for food, places to sleep, new clothes and the like. They "meow" and "purr" their way into men's hearts, if only for a while.

(This is also probably one also why earlier today, my Japanese professor laughed a bit when a girl in my class said she liked to rescue noranekos.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,
This is Elandra, the girl that works with your mom. Wow your stray cat story is really interesting and funny! So it seems as if your having a great time! I bet it is so different. How crazy! well I hope all is well!

Collective Consciousness. said...

Hey, it's Amanda, the crazy girl from the YMCA. Your mother gave me your blog. x] Thank her for the mayhem I will inflict upon "Girl, Japan"