Saturday, September 20, 2008

Normalcy

It's amazing how quickly people can fall into a routine. I've been in Japan for about a week now, and I've already started falling into somewhat of a routine.

We usually get herded around Tokyo with the group to various and sundry places. Today we went to the Tatemono-en, the Tokyo Building and Architecture Museum. Yesterday we went Asakusa, part of Shita-machi, the old part of Tokyo. The day before that, we explored Waseda University and Takadanobaba, the surrounding area. It was all very exciting, but until I manage to download the pictures from my camera, you're going to have to take my word for that.

But I digress.

We get up everyday, eat breakfast at the cafeteria, travel around Tokyo, eat dinner and walk around our neighborhood in Higashi-Yamato. We already know where to go for good udon, delicious cake, cheap pastries. There's a cute store around the corner that sells really pretty purses, umbrellas, and wallets, and there's another place nearby where the shopkeeper loves to talk to American students.

I've already (almost) gotten used to walking on the left side of the street, saying "domo" to to waitresses, and using my subway quickpass. If all this has happened in a week, it'll be interesting to see what will happen by the end of 10 months.

I suppose it just goes to show that people are creatures of habit, and we adapt to new routines quickly. I just find it intensely interesting that my 19 years in the states have quite easily given way to a week in Japan. When in Rome, I suppose.

3 comments:

Lulu said...

I went to Japan on exchange when I was 19 also and loved it- I am sure you will have a great time! I was at a uni in Kichijoji in West Tokyo. Now 4.5 years later I am engaged to a Japanese man I met when I was on exchange!!!

Enjoy your time!

Girl, Japan said...

Hi Lulu, it's good to see you here! Thanks for the kind wishes! How did you stumble across my blog?

Tamson said...

Hiyah! Sounds like your Japan experience is going well so far. ENJOY! And pictures please. But no more bad puns on Facebook, it's burns us.