Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The first day

I landed in Tokyo on Sunday, jetlagged and exhausted. I had been up for about 30 hours at a stretch, and I don't actually remember much of anything outside of Narita airport.

I've pretty much been stuck in orientation in the days since, but I managed to escape long enough to take a walk yesterday.

I just picked a direction and walked as long as I could. Perhaps it's the country bumpkin in me, but I found it simply amazing that I could simply just pick a direction and go, and the city would just continue unfolding around me.

Now back to orientation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on GETTING THERE! More important than walking though, is eating. . . did you find anything wonderful to eat yet?

Girl, Japan said...

My food situation has been kind of weird, since Monday (my first full day in Japan was Respect for the Elderly Day, and almost everything was closed. And then yesterday we were stuck on the campus of our dorm for language exercises, so we basically just ate at the cafeteria for three meals yesterday.

Even so, I've at least gotten to eat some Japanese specialties. The cafeteria serves Japanese- and Western-style meals, but they have special stations devoted to Japanese noodles (ramen/udon) and other traditional dishes. I also had a chance to try yakisoba (fried soba noodles with veggies in a sauce) and takoyaki (fried balls of octopus in a savory sauce...kind of like Japanese calamari)

There's also an amazing assortment of baked goods at a convenience store a few blocks away. My favorite is the melon bread (with no real melon in it, surprisingly, it's a small, sweet loaf textured to look like the skin of a melon.)

So far, all the food I've had has been really good, so I'm excited to continue my culinary adventure.